I'm a generalist designer with experience across platforms and devices. I've designed file management tools, data visualizations, science curriculum guides, social networks, professional development platforms, and contributed to design systems. I bring clear communication and attention to detail to user research, interface design, and collaboration with product and development teams. I'm looking to make a difference in people's lives through the smart application of design.
- UX design
- UI design
- Icon design
- Git version control
Freelance Product Design2017 – Present
Expanding my front-end development skills and consulting with education technologists and independent Mac app developers.
Product Designer for Professional Learning Maps2013 – 2017
Led all aspects of design and contributed extensively to front-end development for a professional development platform used by thousands of K – 12 educators in 80 school districts nationwide. PLM was nominated for a CODiE Award in the Best Professional Learning Solution for K–20 Faculty and Administrative Staff category in 2016.
User Experience & Visual Designer2009 – 2013
Designed innovative tools supporting reading, writing, science curriculum, and education standards with product teams as well as with design and product leadership to explore product concepts.
- Worked with a large Agile development team on the design of tools for creating instructional groups of students based on assessment data
- Prototyped a honeycomb learning map using SVG as a demonstration of the advantages over image-based solutions
- Led user research and design of a social networking app supporting student soft-skill development
- Collaborated with science education experts on the design of a tablet-based curriculum guide
- Designed data visualizations to help school leaders maximize classroom instructional time (School by Design, which has since spun out as a separate company)
- Made significant design and code contributions to the internal UI toolkit built on top of Bootstrap
- Introduced and helped other designers with new tools such as Sketch and Tumult Hype and techniques for image optimization and prototyping
- Designed reports for an AP Computer Science online course (which has since spun out as Edhesive)
User Experience Designer2006 – 2008
Part of a team that executed the ground-up redesign of virtual data room file management and reporting tools used by Fortune 500 financial institutions and corporations. We introduced desktop interface and interaction patterns then uncommon in web-based applications.
W & Co.Seattle, WA
Web Developer2004 – 2006
I realized sites for Seattle-area businesses and non-profits using standards-compliant HTML & CSS in collaboration with graphic designers.
Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA
Jazz Performance. Musical studies including drumset, harmony, ear training, and arranging.