I'm a generalist, experienced designing for the web, iOS, Android, and macOS. Among other things, I've designed file management tools, data visualizations, a science curriculum guide, a social network, a professional development platform, and contributed to a design system. I bring clear communication and attention to detail to user research, interface design, and collaboration with product and development teams.
- User experience design — user research, stories, scenarios, and flows
- Interaction and user interface design for mobile, web, and desktop
- Wireframing and full-fidelity visual design using Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, Affinity Designer and Photo
- Icon design
- Front end coding — production-quality, accessible, semantic HTML, SVG, CSS (and Sass)
- Git version control — basic branching and merging, writing clear, concise commit messages
- Photography, including basic retouching
Product Designer for Professional Learning Maps2013 – 2017
Professional Learning Maps is a responsive web app for tablets and desktops that supports individualized professional development for K – 12 educators and leaders.
- Designed a CODiE Award-nominated (Best Professional Learning Solution for K–20 Faculty and Administrative Staff, 2016) product from initial conception to production used by thousands of educators across the country
- Translated business and educator goals into interaction and interface designs requiring little or no training
- Wrote significant portions of the front end layout and styling code
- Supported product marketing with collateral and materials for social media, emails, advertisements, and conference booths
User Experience & Visual Designer2009 – 2013
I worked with several product teams as well as with design management to create prototypes for products still in conception. Platforms included web, Android, and iOS.
- Worked with a large Agile development team on the design of tools for creating instructional groups of students based on assessment data
- Prototyped a honeycomb learning map using SVG as a demonstration of the advantages over image-based solutions
- Led user research and design of a social networking app supporting student soft-skill development
- Collaborated with science education experts on the design of a tablet-based curriculum guide
- Designed data visualizations to help school leaders maximize classroom instructional time (School by Design, which has since spun out as a separate company)
- Made significant design and code contributions to the internal UI toolkit built on top of Bootstrap
- Introduced and helped other designers with new tools such as Sketch and Tumult Hype and techniques for image optimization and prototyping
- Designed reports for an AP Computer Science online course (which has since spun out as Edhesive)
User Experience Designer2006 – 2008
IntraLinks provides virtual data rooms for financial institutions and corporations.
- Ensured security and clear access rules through file management and permission configuration interfaces
- Improved data room manager awareness of deal activity through tabular and graphical reports
- Reduced the work required to set up large data rooms using a Windows app for configuration and management
W & Co.Seattle, WA
Web Developer2004 – 2006
I realized sites for Seattle-area businesses and non-profits using standards-compliant HTML & CSS in collaboration with graphic designers.
Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA — 2002
Coursework: Jazz Performance. Musical studies including drumset, harmony, ear training, and arranging.